This super easy chicken piccata recipe is perfectly homemade and taste just like mama made it!
There is something about my mama’s cooking that just makes my heart smile. Growing up my mom cooked often and I was (am) the definition of a “mama’s baby” which resulted in me being in the kitchen with her a lot. We love to cook together and my mom loves to cook for Malachi and I in general plus she washes the dishes too so I’m really making out like a bandit. 🙂
Making one of her recipes is like a sweet hug and just makes my happy bucket overflow. One day we were hanging out and planning to cook dinner. I knew I wanted to cook something for her and she wanted chicken and pasta so hellooo chicken piccata. Any excuse to use a ton of lemon on something, I’m in. This recipe is super easy and doesn’t require any ingredients you have to get at a specialty grocery store so win win to me. I eyeball everything, I don’t believe in measuring food unless I’m baking, so do everything to your taste!
- 2 Large Boneless-Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Cup of All Purpose Flour
- 1 Gallon Zip Lock Bag
- 1 Non-stick Skillet
- 1/2 Cup of Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 1 Jar of Capers
- 4 Large or 5 Small Lemons
- 1 Bunch of Fresh Parsley
- Angel Hair Pasta
- Vegetable Oil (sub this how you wish)
- Pour your flour into the gallon sized zip lock bag and season to your liking. I added some ground black pepper, himalayan pink sea salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. I mixed that up and put it to the side.
- Add some oil to the skillet enough to coat the bottom but not too much, this will cause your chicken to be soggy, turn the burner on medium high. Go ahead and get your pasta water boiling in a pot as well.
- Butterfly the chicken breast and then cut them in half. Add the chicken breast into the flour mixture and toss around, make sure the chicken is evenly coated then shake any extra flour off of chicken into bag. (easy clean-up ftw!)
- Add chicken to the skillet and cook about 5-6 minutes each side until browned. While this is cooking, I like to prep my garnishes and sauce ingredients.
- Roughly chop your parsley, use as much as you want, I normally use about 3/4 of the bunch. Drain and rinse your capers. Juice your lemons.(rolling them with your palm against a flat surface or throwing them in the microwave helps get their juices flowing!) Add the pasta to the boiling water. I always salt my pasta water but that’s optional.
- Finally, after the chicken is done cooking remove it from the pan and add your chicken stock, lemon juice and capers. Bring this to a boil then simmer, whisk vigorously during this as sauce thickens, MAJOR KEY. Once your sauce has come together and your pasta is done, you’re finished!
I paired this with a white wine and served it with a kale cranberry salad, it was so delicious. I really like white wine and lemon together, so yum. Feel free to tweak any part of this recipe to fit what you and your family will like the most. I hope you guys enjoy!
PS: Love you mama! Forever my #1 supporter!